Tuesday, November 28, 2006


Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!

There is something almost magical about waking up early in the morning when it snows. There is that first knowing....when I open my eyes and notice what I call the snow glow, that glow reaching in through the windows that just isn't there unless it's snowed. A smile spreads as I glance out at the big lacy flakes slowly floating down to blanket the earth. There is a special silence that comes with the early morning snow. It's still dark as I tiptoe through the chilly house, turn up the heat and start the coffee. While I wait for the coffee to brew, I watch the flakes peacefully drift to the ground, and all is calm.

I sneak quietly into the girls' room to wake up Katie for school. All the girls are snuggled way down in their covers. I brush the hair back from Katie's face and whisper in her ear "It's snowing!" A smile spreads across her sleepy little face, her eyes still closed. Cameron does much the same, but with a little gasp and a giggle. After they come downstairs ready for the day, they bundle up....coats, hats, mittens, etc. and run out into the cold, scooping up the snow to make snowballs, and tasting the fresh, fluffy, pure white wonder.

Later, Rosalie and Natalie look at me with eyes round and faces bright, exclaiming "It's snowing!!!" Then they declare that it must be Christmas because there is snow on the ground.

After the kids are all at school, I drive to the town down the highway to do my grocery shopping. The roads are fine, but the view is breathtaking. The vineyards on the hills make a black and white striped quilt pattern, the trees are dusted with white, each branch outlined against the sky and dark fir trees in the background, and in the distance the mountains are crisp and white. The sky is blue with clouds in shades of gray. My heart can't help but rejoice in this magical wonder.....snow!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home